As Ron DeSantis tried to flip burgers to impress Republican voters in Iowa, the crowd chanted we love Trump, and Trump's plane flew over DeSantis's head.
Donald J. Trump asserted his dominance in Iowa on Saturday as he squared off against his closest rival, Ron DeSantis, in the Super Bowl of retail politics.
The Florida governor was hoping to have the stage to himself, but Donald Trump and his supporters have made that hard to achieve.
Despite polling in the mid-single digits, the biotech mogul projected outsize confidence at the Iowa State Fair.
On a weekend when the political world was focused on Iowa, there were reminders of why the Florida governor, though distinctly trailing, remains Trump’s principal GOP rival.
The 2024 Republican presidential race is playing out in close quarters Saturday at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, as former President Donald Trump and his top-polling rival, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, join the crowd of thousands of potential caucus-goers.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed