The Republican representative who allegedly made up his life story, explained.
The GOP is trading longtime dealmakers for more combative members.
The Treasury Department says it has started taking “extraordinary measures” as the government has brushed up against its legal borrowing capacity of $38.381 trillion.
Republicans have made a drama out of legislation to hire some 87,000 IRS employees. Either they don't understand the bill, or they're pretending not to.
It would be just as illegal to obey the debt ceiling as it would be to ignore it.
The United States has a cap on the amount of money it can borrow. That means it can run out of cash if the limit isn’t lifted.
The risk of a federal debt ceiling breach later this year has increased. Steel yourself for trouble, our columnist writes. But remember: This, too, shall pass.
The clock is now ticking on the nation's debt ceiling drama.
The US has been in debt and arguing about it for its entire existence.
The US hit the debt ceiling set by Congress on Thursday, forcing the Treasury Department to start taking extraordinary measures to keep the government paying its bills and escalating pressure on Capitol Hill to avoid a catastrophic default.
Conservatives want a deal that includes spending cuts, but the White House says meeting the country’s obligations should be non-negotiable.
House Democrats are a bit more apprehensive.
Russia and China will conduct naval drills off the coast of South Africa next month in another indication of their strengthening relationships with Africa’s most developed country amid the war in Ukraine and global financial uncertainty
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Thursday notified congressional leaders that her office will begin to implement “extraordinary measures” to keep the U.S. government from defaulting on …
The Arizona independent told an audience at Davos that Democrats were seeking "short-term victories" in trying to defend voting rights.
The Treasury Department said it would begin a series of accounting moves to keep the U.S. from breaching its borrowing cap and asked Congress to raise or suspend the limit.
Every American could get hurt if the new hardline Republican House's dangerous game of roulette with a still vulnerable economy backfires.
The debt limit "X date" is looming nearer due to student loan and Fed moves.
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said Wednesday he’s seeking bipartisan support on measures to raise the debt ceiling and scrutinize social safety net programs in order to avoid a default on federal debt…
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed