Russia attacked power stations and other infrastructure Sunday, causing widespread outages across Ukraine.
Russia acknowledged that it had lost nearly all of the northern region of Kharkiv after a blitzkrieg thrust by Ukrainian fighters.
The last week has seen a stunning transformation of the battlefield in eastern Ukraine, as a swift armored offensive by Ukrainian forces rolled through lines of Russian defenses and recaptured more than 3,000 square kilometers of territory.
The Russian president must now contend with an unusual level of criticism of his commanders’ competence in Ukraine.
The war’s widespread devastation provides an opportunity to rebuild the nation on more sustainable grounds. Plans are already circulating.
Russia’s military setbacks may be weakening President Vladimir V. Putin’s reputation at home as a savvy geopolitical strategist.
Russia’s Ministry of Defense — which a day earlier had said that it was moving to reinforce its defensive positions in the region — confirmed on Saturday that it had pulled its forces out of Izium,
After a rapid advance to the key city of Izium, Ukrainian forces appear to have opened a new front near the Donetsk and Luhansk regions. Follow here for news updates.
Ukrainian forces are about 50 kilometers from the Russian border, General Zaluzhnyi says.
The war stretched to its 200-day mark, following Russian President Vladimir Putin's invasion in February.
Ukraine’s second largest city and several strategic hubs were liberated in the operation.
Through the debris-strewn rooms of the bomb-blasted house, the incessant ringing of a phone punctuates the crunch of broken glass splintering underfoot as police lay out a body bag
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed