Lacking the votes needed to change the filibuster, Senate Democrats are pushing ahead with a new strategy on their sweeping voting and elections legislation
In an address in Atlanta, the president will seek to swing momentum behind voting rights bills that have stalled in Congress due to near-unified Republican opposition.
The majority leader will trigger the battle over changing Senate rules when he moves to end debate on Democrats' election reform bills.
Biden Dishonored His Office w/Lies About 'Voting Rights' | RealClearPolitics
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Wednesday offered a blistering rebuke of President Biden's speech in Georgia, in which the president pushed for voting rights and changing the legislative filibuster, saying that it
"Your World with Neil Cavuto" welcomed guests John Cornyn and Bob Cusack.
Sanders thinks Democrats can win working-class voters by forcing Republicans to vote against progressive policies.
As Biden makes a wholesale pitch for filibuster changes to pass voting rights, that's neither sufficient nor apparently good enough for some allies.
Senate Democrats are desperately searching for a way to pass voting legislation amid pressure from President Joe Biden, but the path ahead looks increasingly grim with influential moderates Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema unlikely to support a rules change necessary to get the bills over the finish line despite a frantic lobbying campaign from their own party.
The president made a forceful case to revamp the Senate rules and pass election laws. But his base has grown dubious.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed