Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) was the only Republican in the House who voted to keep the U.S. from defaulting.
Presented by Uber
Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday night teed up a key vote on a deal struck with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to raise the debt ceiling with only Democratic votes.
The House late Tuesday passed legislation that paves the way for Congress to raise the debt limit in the coming days — and prevent an unprecedented federal default — by allowing Democrats to circumvent a GOP filibuster in the Senate.
The bill would provide a one-time pathway for the Senate to raise the debt ceiling on a simple majority vote, skirting Republican obstruction.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have reached an agreement to create a one-time process that would let Democrats raise the debt ceiling on their votes alone, a deal that underscores the lengths the GOP leader will go to avoid a damaging default without Republican support to increase the national borrowing limit.
The vote creates a path for Congress to prevent the government from defaulting on more than $29 trillion in debt.
Mitch McConnell's deal on the debt ceiling is just the latest example of the Senate GOP working with Democrats, to the scorn of House Republicans.
House Democrats on Tuesday evening passed a bill that would set up a process for a debt ceiling hike with a simple majority vote in the Senate. This fast-track procedure that includes Medicare legislation will expire by January 16 and can only be used one time. The bill passed the House 222-212 – with RINO…
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed