Attorney General Garland made it clear in the DOJ indictment of Bannon that executive privilege belongs to the Executive Branch, not Trump.
Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) predicted that the witnesses who have refused to testify before the 1/6 Committee will change their tune now that Steve Bannon has been indicted.
Trump's ability to keep 1/6 witnesses in line crumbled after a federal grand jury indicted Steve Bannon for contempt of Congress.
1/6 Committee Chair Bennie Thompson and Vice-Chair Liz Cheney signaled that Mark Meadows is next to face a criminal contempt referral.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of two Republicans on the House select committee investigating January 6, said Friday that he hopes a federal grand jury's indictment of Steve Bannon for contempt of Congress "sends a chilling message" to anyone considering not cooperating with the panel.
Steve Bannon has been indicted on two counts of criminal contempt of Congress after defying a subpoena from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot.
Stephen K. Bannon, a former top aide to Donald Trump, had refused to comply with subpoenas from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on Congress.
The indictment of former President Donald Trump's chief strategist Steve Bannon on charges of criminal contempt of Congress on Friday sent shock waves through Washington -- serving as a powerful warning to other potential witnesses that there will be consequences for defying the House select committee investigating the January 6 attack on the US Capitol.
Former Trump adviser Steve Bannon has been indicted on two charges of contempt of Congress after failing to comply with a subpoena from the House Select Committee investigating Jan 6th insurrection. Glenn Kirschner and Molly Jong-Fast break down what comes next.
Trump’s victory is almost certainly temporary, thought not without consequence.
Threats of violence have become commonplace among a significant part of the party, as historians and those who study democracy warn of a dark shift in American politics.
The House referred Bannon to the Justice Department for prosecution last month after he refused to cooperate with a congressional subpoena.
The question is: for how many?
It's not about being punitive. It's about setting a precedent. And the timing is especially significant.
A federal grand jury has returned an indictment against former Donald Trump adviser Steve Bannon for contempt of Congress, the Justice Department announced Friday.
Former Trump adviser Steve Bannon has been handed a two-count indictment as the House committee keeps trying to investigate Jan. 6.
Member of the January 6 House committee Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) reacts to a federal grand jury indicting former Trump adviser Steve Bannon for contempt of Congress.
CNN political analyst Carl Bernstein said Friday on "Anderson Cooper 360" that there are a group of people in former Vice President Mike Pence's inner circle that are "willing and want to talk" to the select committee investigating the January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. | Clips
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed