New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo faced mounting political pressure on Thursday after the speaker of the state Assembly authorized the judiciary committee to begin an impeachment investigation and dozens of Democratic New York state lawmakers called for Cuomo to resign.
Even as demands grow for the New York governor’s departure, including from the state’s two U.S. senators, some Democrats continue to hold out for a full investigation of his actions, to give accusers their say and Cuomo due process.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer on Friday afternoon joined a majority of New York congressional Democrats, including Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, in calling for Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign in the wake of sexual harassment allegations and his handling of Covid-19 deaths at state nursing homes.
A coordinated call from the majority of New York's Democratic congressional delegation for Andrew Cuomo to resign in the face of sexual harassment and bullying claims as well as questions surrounding nursing home deaths from Covid-19 badly imperils the New York governor's chances of surviving this series of growing scandals.
"It is clear that Governor Cuomo has lost the confidence of his governing partners and the people of New York," they said. He's been accused of sexual mi...
New York's two Democratic Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer are the latest to join the growing calls for Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign as he now faces six allegations of sexual harassment.
Embattled New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is standing increasingly alone as he clings to power, turning himself into the victim Friday in the face of overwhelming Democratic calls for him to step aside instead of engaging in the kind of self-reflection this moment demands.
Charlotte Bennett, a former aide who has accused Governor Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment, spoke to CBS host Norah O'Donnell about her allegations. In his initial response to Bennett's story in the New York Times last week, Cuomo said he believed he had been acting as a mentor and had "never made advances toward Ms. Bennett, nor did I ever intend to act in any way that was inappropriate."
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed