House Democrats will leave a provision to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour in their version of the COVID-19 relief package set for a vote on Friday despite a ruling from the Senate parliamentarian that the measure does not comply wit
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) slammed the Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough's Thursday ruling against including a $15 an hour federal minimum wage
Bernie Sanders blasted the U.S. Senate parliamentarian's Thursday decision to disallow a minimum wage increase in the latest coronavirus relief bill.
Democrats cannot include a $15 minimum wage mandate in their COVID-19 spending package, the Senate parliamentarian ruled Thursday.
President Joe Biden was "disappointed" by Senate parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough's decision not to include the framework to establish a $15 minimum wage.
The guidance from the parliamentarian, Elizabeth MacDonough, was communicated privately to key Senate offices and confirmed by aides in both parties. It could be a major setback for liberals hoping to use Biden’s $1.9 trillion relief bill as the vehicle for their long-sought goal of raising the federal minimum wage from its current level of $7.25 an hour.
The Senate Parliamentarian on Thursday ruled that including $15 minimum wage in Democrats’ COVID package violates Senate budget rules. Parliamentarian says including $15 min wage in Dems’ COVID package violates budget rules. Bad news for progressives but ought to ultimately smooth passage of the bill https://t.co/i1miZNF6df — Igor Bobic (@igorbobic) February 26, 2021 The Huffington…
The major order of business for President Joe Biden and Congress is to pass a $1.9 trillion Covid relief package before the round of unemployment benefits and other aid approved in December lapse, again leaving millions of Americans short of help.
This is a devastating blow to the campaign to raise the minimum wage
The Senate Parliamentarian ruled that the minimum wage is "merely incidental" and cannot be included in the covid relief bill.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed