Mitch McConnell (R-KY) released a glowing statement praising the late John Lewis as he blocks the restoration of the Voting Rights Act.
Schmidt said that one way to honor Lewis is to throw Donald Trump's golfing buddy, Lindsey Graham, out of office in November.
Many of the same Republican leaders praising John Lewis are currently standing in the way of restoring the Voting Rights Act.
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) on Saturday praised the late Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), longtime member of Congress and civil rights icon who died Friday night at the age of 80.
The late congressman’s words chronicle his long and enduring fight for racial equality in America.
Lewis "risked his life and his blood" for a more just United States, former President Barack Obama said.
March tells the story of John Lewis’s civil rights career in unforgettable pictures.
The congressman said that Trump was not a "legitimate" president — even before he was sworn in.
A pop culture primer on a lifetime of activism.
John Lewis is remembered by Delegate to U.S. House of Representatives Eleanor Holmes Norton, as she tells Joy Reid about the civil rights icon’s time as a young activist, and then on Capitol Hill.
Rep. John Lewis has passed away leaving behind a rich legacy in the areas of Civil Rights, voting rights, and as a humanitarian. Historian Michael Beschloss joins Joy Reid with a little-known story about this giant of American history.
John Lewis and C.T. Vivian are remembered for their iconic civil rights legacies by the Rev. Mark A. Thompson.
Politicians on both sides of the aisle remember the civil rights icon.
Lewis was unable to see the Voting Rights Act restored before his death.
In this week's final thoughts, Rev. Al Sharpton underlines the contributions of late civil rights icons C.T. Vivian and John Lewis.
Atlanta is lowering flags to half-staff indefinitely to honor Rep. John Lewis, who represented the city for more than 30 years in Congress before his death
Through biography and his own charm, the civil rights leader and congressman cast the type of long shadow that every president — except Trump — felt comfortable sitting under.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed