Images of his beating at Selma shocked the nation and led to swift passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. He was later called the conscience of the Congress.
Former President Bill Clinton and former secretary of State Hillary Clinton marked the passing of Civil Rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) on Friday, calling him "a giant" and praising his lifelong fight for justice and equality.
The congressman said that Trump was not a "legitimate" president — even before he was sworn in.
Civil Rights Movement icon Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) died Friday night at 80 after a bout with pancreatic cancer. | Politics
Congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis has died at the age of 80 after a battle with pancreatic cancer.
U.S. Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., one of the nation’s most preeminent civil rights figures, died Friday night, according to reports. He was 80.
Mr. Lewis, who died on Friday at 80, was instrumental in the historic struggle for racial equality in the United States. “He risked his life and his blood” for his country, former President Barack Obama said.
Representative John Lewis, the sole surviving speaker from the 1963 March on Washington, is working on a new version of the Voting Rights Act.
The Georgia Democrat who helped organize the March on Washington and was called the "conscience of Congress," has died.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed