Diane Feinstein dead at 90: The California senator was a historic politician and former San Francisco mayor
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), one of the candidates running to replace Sen. Dianne Feinstein in 2024, paid tribute to the groundbreaking California Democrat after her death was announced Friday morn…
Feinstein died as a new generation of leadership was preparing to take power in California.
Feinstein was known throughout her career for her opposition to gun rights and for her support of abortion.
As the 2024 election approaches, Democrats have a three-point plan for their challenging quest to re-elect Joe Biden, take back the House, and defend their razor-thin Senate majority. The first two points one might characterize as the Democrats’ version of the culture war: (1) relentless attacks on Republicans’ association with abortion restrictionism, usually portrayed as a GOP drive to ban the procedure entirely; and (2) equally relentless attacks on the Republicans as destroyers of democracy, from Trump’s and his supporters’ “election denialism” to “MAGA” movement rhetoric and legislation said to be subverting democracy across the country.
Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, after three decades in the Senate and over 50 years in public office, has died at the age of 90.
She achieved remarkable political breakthroughs as a woman, becoming San Francisco’s first female mayor and the first woman elected to the Senate from California.
Gov. Gavin Newsom has pledged to pick a Black woman to fill the seat, but has also said he would not choose any of the current Democrats running for Senate.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) passed away on Friday at the age of 90, after serving in public office for decades.
The death of pioneering Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein has put California Gov. Gavin Newsom under immediate pressure over whom he picks as her replacement, with Democrats clinging to a narrow Senate majority and Congress likely nearing crucial votes over government funding.
Trailblazing California Sen. Dianne Feinstein has died at age 90, according to a source familiar.
All eyes are on California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) following the death of Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) Friday, to see if he will make good on his promise to appoint a black woman to her seat.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed