Voters rejected new restrictions on ballot measures — with implications for November and 2024.
The contest was seen as a test of efforts by Republicans nationwide to curb voters’ use of ballot initiatives.
Ahead of a November vote on abortion rights, Republican lawmakers want voters to make it more difficult to amend the state constitution.
Delivering a win for abortion rights advocates, Ohio’s Issue 1 will fail, according to predictions.
In the Ohio special election on Tuesday night, Issue 1 failed, with media outlets calling the election less than two hours after polls closed.
Another big setback for antiabortion forces, in a long string of them.
In a special election Aug. 8, Ohio voters rejected "Issue 1,” a ballot measure seeking to make it harder to amend the state constitution through ballot measures.
Ohio voters rejected Tuesday an effort to raise the threshold to amend the state’s constitution ahead of a November referendum on whether to constitutionally guarantee abortion rights there, handing abortion rights advocates a critical victory.
Even when they’re not directly on the ballot.
This has massive implications for this fall's abortion rights measure.
MSNBC contributor Jason Johnson said Tuesday on "Deadline" that the Republican Party was now a terrorist religious cult called "MAGA." | Clips
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed