Mutual inspections were interrupted by the pandemic, then by the war in Ukraine. But now New START, the last nuclear agreement between Russia and the United States, is dying, and arms control may be, too.
Biden delivered a strong message to Putin, Trump, and all of the Republicans who want to appease Russia during his speech in Poland.
War has been a catastrophe for Ukraine and a crisis for the globe
Biden in Warsaw, Putin in Moscow.
Last October, a weeklong barrage of Russian missiles and kamikaze drones destroyed nearly a third of Ukraine's power stations, plunging millions of Ukrainians into darkness ahead of winter and signaling a significant Russian tactical shift to target civilian infrastructure.
“Democracies of the world will stand guard over freedom today, tomorrow and forever," Biden said in an address at the Royal Castle.
The so-called New START was signed by Russia and the U.S. in 2010 and aimed at keeping a lid on nuclear weapons expansion.
In sharply opposed speeches, President Biden said Vladimir V. Putin bore sole responsibility for the war, while Mr. Putin said Russia had invaded in self-defense. But they agreed the war would not end soon.
Joe Biden's visit was meant to reassure our allies of American support, but this blunder may have the opposite effect.
Biden painted the Ukraine War as a fight for freedom and democracy, saying the world was "at an inflection point" where the stakes are "eternal."
President Joe Biden's trip to mark the anniversary of the war in Ukraine is highlighting an even more grave challenge -- a new era of simultaneous and sometimes intertwined US confrontations with nuclear rivals Russia and China.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said relations between his country and China are "reaching new milestones" as Beijing's top diplomat, Wang Yi, wrapped up a visit to Moscow on Wednesday.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed