Former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he will not run to lead the Conservative Party, ending intense speculation about a comeback.
Pulling out of the race to succeed Liz Truss, the former prime minister eased a path for Rishi Sunak, his former chancellor of Britain’s treasury.
Boris Johnson on Sunday withdrew his bid to return as prime minister of the United Kingdom as the Conservative party scrambles to replace Liz Truss, who stepped down from the top job last week. Joh…
Former PM Johnson says “this is simply not the right time” to bid for a return to 10 Downing Street
Former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he will not run to lead the Conservative Party, ending intense speculation about a comeback
Boris Johnson pulled out of the Tory leadership race to replace Liz Truss as the U.K.'s next prime minister late Sunday local time, according to reports.
Boris Johnson has said he will not be standing to lead the country again, implicitly stating the Conservative Party is presently beyond help.
Mr. Sunak’s warnings about inflation and his fiscal conservatism may have cost him the post in September. But now his accurate assessments are easing his path to Britain’s top job.
The process, which does not include the general public, will be swift, with plans to have a result by next week.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed