Judge Aileen Cannon’s latest order shows a disregard for established law.
The Justice Department is planning to appeal, but the decision is likely to significantly delay its investigation into former President Donald J. Trump’s handling of government records.
The judge, Raymond Dearie, will be responsible for reviewing the documents taken during a search of Trump's home last month.
Aileen Cannon appointed Raymond Dearie, a senior judge in the Eastern District of New York, to lead an independent review of the seized materials.
US District Judge Aileen Cannon also rejected the Justice Department's bid to resume its criminal investigation into classified documents seized at Mar-a-Lago last month.
Raymond Dearie will be the special master tasked with sorting through the files seized from Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home. Good luck, judge.
An independent arbiter’s review of government documents seized at the former president’s home could significantly delay the criminal inquiry.
Senior Judge Raymond J. Dearie was named to the role, and will complete his review of the materials seized by Nov. 30.
A federal judge in Florida dealt the Justice Department another setback in its investigation into the handling of documents from former President Donald Trump's White House with a trio of orders Thursday night.
US District Judge Raymond Dearie will serve as the special master tasked with reviewing the documents seized from Mar-a-Lago.
Judge Aileen Cannon sided with Trump and appointed retired Judge Raymond Dearie to serve as the special master in the Mar-a-Lago case.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed