A new Fox News poll revealed that Sen. Mark Kelly (D) leads Blake Masters (R) 50%-42% in the Arizona Senate race.
The DOJ said in court that they have several witnesses against Trump and that the former president willfully withheld classified information.
A federal judge said that he could release portions of a redacted affidavit for the FBI's search of Mar-a-Lago.
Trump pointed to a memo related to the declassification of some documents that undermines his own defense.
The possibility emerged after news organizations sought to unseal the affidavit submitted in support of the search warrant. Any public version of the affidavit could be heavily redacted.
A US magistrate judge started the process of potentially releasing some information from the affidavit that the Justice Department used to obtain a search warrant for former President Donald Trump's Florida residence.
The DOJ confirmed that the Mar-a-Lago investigation is in its “early stages” — a point that probably ought to cause Donald Trump considerable discomfort.
While Trump had publicly called for the document’s release, he took no position on the matter in a court case brought by media organizations.
Judge Reinhart has faced a wave of criticism, disinformation and online threats over his involvement in the F.B.I.’s search.
These establishment media outlets have requested that the documents related to the Mar-a-Lago raid be released to the public.
A magistrate judge said that portions of the document could be unsealed. But seeing the document remain mostly sealed is likely a best-case scenario for Trump.
In the days since the FBI seized classified and top secret documents from Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, the former President and his allies have claimed that Trump had a "standing order" to declassify documents he took from the Oval Office to the White House residence.
The FBI search of Donald Trump's Florida resort and the removal of classified information raise a compelling need for maximum public disclosure given the involvement of an ex-president who's a likely 2024 candidate.
A document unsealed Thursday, which offered specifics about the crimes the Justice Department is investigating, including "willful retention of national defense information," sharpens the focus on former President Donald Trump as a possible subject of the criminal probe, several legal experts told CNN.
The former president demanded transparency around the search of Mar-a-Lago. He didn’t get quite that. Nor did he get closure.
Trump's lawyer went on Fox News to claim that Mar-a-Lago was a secure place to house classified info.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed