Rising prices, party infighting and the aftershocks from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have undercut the president’s plans to speed an energy transition.
The United States, the world's No. 2 producer of greenhouse gas pollution, may find itself with little ability to address the problem.
Obsolete coal plants across the country are getting a welcome revival: A second life as solar farms and other renewable energy ventures. Because these former fossil fuel hubs are wired into t…
Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-W.Va.) decision to move ahead with a reconciliation deal that doesn’t involve climate change risks consigning the entire world to a warmer future, scientists, Democrats and ad…
As Joe Manchin abandons the climate and tax measures he used to support, those who said he wasn't negotiating in good faith appear to be have been right.
With the president’s most potent tools to fight climate change stripped by Congress and the courts, the administration will now have to rely on smaller, less powerful actions.
A day after the West Virginia senator scuttled plans to pass a climate and tax package, many in his party blamed him for the demise of their ambitions and expressed a lack of trust in him.
Only two provisions in a once-sprawling social spending package have survived; they would lower prescription drug prices in Medicare and insurance premiums for millions of Americans.
West Virginia senator cites fears other countries won't adopt the plan, disadvantaging U.S. businesses.
President Joe Biden vowed Friday to take "strong executive action" in response to moderate Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin torpedoing his party's efforts toward writing sweeping climate action and tax legislation.
Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia is a key vote crucial to President Joe Biden's agenda with Capitol Hill bitterly divided along partisan lines.
The president called for the quicker passage of a smaller reconciliation bill that would address prescription drugs and health care subsidies and leave climate till later.
This iteration focuses on provisions to reduce prescription drug prices.
"As far as I'm concerned, I want climate, I want an energy policy."
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed