Republicans used a filibuster to thwart the bill, but Democrats hoped the high-profile failure of their legislation would help them at the polls in November.
Senate Republicans and Democrat Joe Manchin teamed up to block the advancement of legislation that would federally codify abortion rights.
1/6 revealed that Jim Jordan has some experience inciting and supporting attacks on the government, so his tweet about Justice Sotomayor could be viewed as a threat.
Why the Senate voted on an abortion rights bill that was guaranteed to fail.
The outlook is grim in the short term. But there are three possible paths over the longer term.
President Biden declared Former President Donald Trump "the great MAGA king" during a speech at the 40th annual IBEW in Chicago Wednesday.
There are occasional peeks behind the Supreme Court’s curtain, but three leaks in nine days about a historically significant pending case is extraordinary.
Republicans waged a racist smear campaign to depict Cook as an "unqualified" hire and derail her nomination. They failed.
The disclosure of a draft opinion that would overrule Roe v. Wade, legal experts said, was evidence that the court is not much different from other Washington institutions.
The bill would have outlawed several pro-life protections and trampled the religious freedoms of doctors nationwide.
The lawyer argued that mail ballots in Pennsylvania in the 2020 election could be culled in a way that would reverse President Donald J. Trump’s defeat in an electorally critical state.
For the vast majority of Republican senators, voting against abortion rights on Wednesday served as a political win in states that have skewed so conservative that their only fear is of losing a GOP primary.
The draft opinion, written by Justice Samuel Alito, would overturn Roe v. Wade and restrict abortion rights in many states.
The president is hoping his political fate — and the Democrats’ standing among the white working class — can be saved by lifting up organized labor.
In a trip to the Midwest, the president laid into his predecessor and said the GOP has a “radical agenda.”
The largely symbolic vote to codify abortion protections didn't even garner a simple Senate majority, falling on the same lines a previous bill did in February.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed