As Putin has less and less to win and more to lose, including his health and possibly his life, he can only be seen as increasingly dangerous.
The lack of warplanes at Russia’s Victory Day parade underscores President Vladimir V. Putin’s failure to build a capable modern air force.
The 44 bodies were found in a five-story building that collapsed in March in Izyum, about 75 miles from the city of Kharkiv, in Ukraine.
Russian President Vladimir Putin's much-anticipated Victory Day speech did not include any announcement of victory in Ukraine or any declarations of further troop mobilizations despite concerns from the West.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s much-anticipated Victory Day speech left Western observers with the impression of a man without a plan, as the Kremlin chief did not announce any major new initiative to try to overwhelm a Ukrainian defense that has confounded his expectations for the war.
President Biden signed the Lend-Lease Act, which will waive time-consuming requirements on the provision of arms to Ukraine.
A campaign to crowdfund donations and weapons is producing millions of dollars as well as a bounty of smaller weapons and other military equipment for the Ukrainian military.
Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine has backfired on a number of fronts. But one of the most disastrous consequences of all for the Russian President is the increasingly likely prospect of Finland joining NATO.
With no significant achievement on the battlefield, Putin was reduced on May 9 to twisting history, claiming victimhood and fabricating yet another conspiracy theory in order to justify Russia's unprovoked invasion of a neighboring country and the mounting cost it is inflicting on his own people, writes Frida Ghitis.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed