As Ukrainian forces dig into trenches and residents flee into basements, Russia’s artillery attacks have intensified. “They can’t get through the front lines and so they’re starting simply to destroy the city,” a Ukrainian official said.
Ukrainian forces continue to resist Russian attacks in southeastern Mariupol, with a Ukrainian commander saying the situation at the Azovstal steel plant is "critical." Follow here for live news updates.
Jen Psaki said the White House supported Yellen’s walkout and said "it’s an indication of the fact that President Putin and Russia has become a pariah on the global stage.”
American and foreign leaders have been weighing whether their success in making Russia a diplomatic pariah could push President Vladimir V. Putin to strike in new ways.
Several central bank governors and finance ministers protested Russia’s participation at the spring meetings of the I.M.F. and World Bank.
Weeklong training for Ukraine’s soldiers on howitzers is taking place outside of their country, a U.S. defense official said. Additionally, new spare parts have allowed Kyiv to get more than 20 warplanes back in service.
Russia carried out an intercontinental ballistic missile test on Wednesday, with President Vladimir Putin warning those who "try to threaten our country."
The United States on Wednesday unveiled its latest round of sanctions going after Russia over its war on Ukraine, this time targeting a key commercial bank and "a global network of more than 40 individuals and entities led by U.S.-designated Russian oligarch Konstantin Malofeyev."
Finance ministers from multiple nations walked out of a closed-door G20 session in Washington on Wednesday when the Russian delegate began his prepared remarks, a show of protest against Moscow for its invasion of Ukraine.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed