How the world got here, what Russia wants, and more questions, answered.
President Biden delivered a dire warning to Putin that if he invades Ukraine, the US will rally the world and defend NATO territory.
Senate Majority Leader Schumer and Minority Leader McConnell released a joint Senate statement of solidarity with Ukraine.
President Vladimir V. Putin said he was pulling some Russian troops back from areas close to Ukraine, hinting at cooling the crisis, but U.S. officials say it is too soon to gauge his intentions.
Senate Republicans want Sarah Bloom Raskin dropped as a nominee, so they are blocking Biden's slate of nominees for Federal Reserve positions.
Many Americans are puzzled at being dragged into a 1970s-style Cold War showdown with Russia. On Tuesday, President Joe Biden tried to explain why the crisis matters.
Conservative News reporter Mike Theissen praised Biden’s address on the Russia-Ukraine crisis Tuesday, February 15, on Fox News.
Each side is trying to convince the other that the price of conflict is too high. It is a complex game played with deliberate ambiguity, raising the risk of lethal miscalculation.
Knowing the intentions of any autocratic leader is difficult, but President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, who began his career as a K.G.B. officer, poses a particular challenge.
Frida Ghitis writes amid all the unknowns, there's only one thing we know with certainty about how a war would play out in Ukraine: it would be unpredictable. It's the geopolitical manifestation of the wisdom famously imparted by Mike Tyson: 'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.'
President Joe Biden listened politely Sunday as his Ukrainian counterpart made an audacious proposal: Fly to Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky told Biden, to show the world the United States is committed to stabilizing a region on edge.
But alliance chief Jens Stoltenberg sees grounds for ‘cautious optimism’ in signals from Moscow.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed