It certainly feels as though the Republican Party is only beginning to wrestle with the problems it created for itself by attaching itself wholly to one man.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) criticized the Republican National Committee's (RNC) apparent characterization of the storming of the Capitol on Jan.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — In 2016, Donald Trump overtook the Republican National Committee through a shock and awe campaign that stunned party leaders. In 2020, the party was obligated to support him as the sitting Republican president.
The Republican National Committee believes the Capitol rioters were "ordinary citizens engaged in legitimate political discourse."
U.S. prosecutors have obtained the phone and email records of Robert Costello, an attorney representing former Trump advisor Stephen K. Bannon, who has been charged with contempt of Congress for refusing to appear before a House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2020, attack on the U.S. Capitol. Bannon's defense decried the search as a potential violation of attorney-client privilege. Prosecutors said Costello is a witness to Bannon's failure to testify.
Trump’s shredding of paper in the White House was far more widespread and indiscriminate than previously known and — despite multiple admonishments — extended throughout his presidency.
“President Trump is wrong,” Pence said of Trump saying that Pence could've overturned the 2020 election. The comments echoed what Pence said before but were more direct — and for a reason.
The former president’s stranglehold on the party is emerging as a serious threat to the GOP’s otherwise bright prospects in November.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed