House Democrats appear on the verge of advancing President Joe Biden's Build Back Better package and a companion infrastructure bill.
Presented by ExxonMobil
House Democrats late Thursday modified the provision in their social spending package that would raise the cap on the state and local tax (SALT) deduction.
The House convened at 8 a.m.
A Democratic leadership source said the House plans to vote on the two pieces of legislation Friday, and that leaders are feeling confident they will finish them in one day.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi wanted a vote on Thursday night on a $1.85 trillion social policy and climate bill, but moderates pushed back and action was postponed until Friday.
In the wake of jarring election results in several states on Tuesday, the one thing Democrats appeared to agree on was that they needed action in Congress.
"There’s a point where you've got to stop talking," Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) said. But can the House get there?
Democratic leaders made headway in some areas, but key lawmakers were still drafting new language on immigration as late as 9 p.m.
House Democratic leaders and progressives want to speed toward passage of a bill that won't have a smooth ride through the Senate.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed