Dr. Anthony Fauci said Dr. Deborah Birx "probably should have" pushed more while serving on the White House coronavirus task force under former President Donald Trump.
"The federal government did not provide consistent messaging to the American people and that is fault number one," Birx said.
In a new CNN special report "COVID WAR: The Pandemic Doctors Speak Out," CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke to six leading US health officials about their experiences responding to the coronavirus pandemic over the past year.
No longer working under the Trump administration, six leading US health officials now reveal to CNN the real challenges they faced during the nation's fight against Covid-19 over the past year: death threats, mixed messages and in some cases, being kept from sharing information with national audiences.
Dr. Deborah Birx revealed in a CNN documentary clip released Sunday that she received a "very uncomfortable" and "very difficult" phone call from Donald Trump after speaking publicly about the spread of Covid-19 while serving in the former President's administration.
Dr. Anthony Fauci has received widespread acclaim, while Dr. Deborah Birx's previously sterling reputation has been tarnished -- perhaps irrevocably, writes Megan Ranney. As a clinician-scientist, I have criticized Birx. But I also have to wonder: What went wrong?
The hundreds of thousands of citizens whose deaths from Covid-19 could have been avoided are owed national and political accountability, but the polarization of America that exacerbated the pandemic threatens to deprive them of their due.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed