This is how lies turn into laws that make it harder for people to vote. The same week that a major backer of former President Donald Trump's false election fraud narrative admitted it was unreasonable, Republican lawmakers in Georgia turned legislation inspired by the false narrative into law.
Former President Trump on Friday celebrated the signing of a far-reaching elections bill in Georgia, praising state GOP officials for “learning from the travesty of the 2020 Presidential Election," which he lost after now-President Biden flipped s
The very worst provisions enable partisan Republicans to seize control of election boards in Democratic counties.
Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday called on Congress to strengthen voting rights a day after Georgia passed a sweeping elections bill.
The president called the statute ‘outrageous,’ a day after his impassioned defense of voting rights Thursday. But advocates urged Biden to do more to help the cause.
Critics say a new law that passed in Georgia on Thursday clears the way for partisan actors to sway the certification of election results, as President Donald Trump unsuccessfully urged Republicans to do last fall.
Some observers see the provision as an attempt to curb voting by urban voters and people of color who lean Democratic and whose precincts often have long waits to cast ballots.
President Joe Biden on Friday called a sweeping elections bill signed into law in Georgia "Jim Crow in the 21st Century" and "an atrocity," saying the Justice Department is "taking a look" at the measure.
Limits on drop boxes. New identification requirements. Restrictions on out-of-precinct voting. Voting rights advocates say a new Georgia law strikes at the political power of African Americans in a key battleground state.
DOJ officials would only say that they are looking at the new Georgia voter suppression law, it is possible that they could sue the state.
The law is expected to severely restrict voting access in the state and will disproportionately affect Black voters.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed