Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, after days of intraparty disputes and splits spilling into public view, will move Thursday to unify Republicans behind their initial $1 trillion coronavirus relief proposal.
It includes another round of stimulus checks, but the GOP can't seem to agree how to extend unemployment benefits that are due to expire this month.
Troubling resurgences have hit places around the world that were seen as models in the virus fight. In the U.S., known cases surpassed four million.
Disputes over how to extend supplemental jobless benefits — and a White House push for money for a new F.B.I. building — slowed efforts to agree to an opening bid in negotiations with Democrats.
Supplemental checks for laid-off workers are set to expire at month’s end. Republicans and Democrats disagree on what to do next.
Senate Republicans now plan to roll out bill next week after continued fighting over numerous provisions.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin called the discussions between White House negotiators and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell “very productive,” but acknowledged that while there is a “fundamental agreement,” both sides still need to review and finalize text – which can be a time consuming process.
After forcing the convention to move from Charlotte to Jacksonville because he wanted a big celebration, President Trump called off the Florida portion, citing the health risks from the coronavirus.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed