The Secret Service abruptly called for reporters to leave the White House grounds Monday night.
President Trump took to Twitter late Monday to announce that “numerous people were arrested” in Washington, D.C., as protesters attempted to tear down a statue of Andrew Jackson in Lafayette Square Park and—once again—targeted the nearby St. John’s Episcopal Church.
Protesters near the White House got increasingly rowdy, as they defaced a historic church, tried to take down a statue and confronted police.
Rioters clashed with police Monday in Lafayette Square as they attempted to tear down a monument to Andrew Jackson and set up a Black House Autonomous Zone.
Protesters in D.C. are attempting to set up their own autonomous zone -- "BHAZ," Black House Autonomous Zone -- as they clash with police.
President Donald Trump reacted Monday to an attempt by violent protesters to topple the statue of Andrew Jackson in Lafayette Square.
Protesters began arriving to Lafayette Park in front of the White House with black-painted shields, according to videos on social media.
Protesters tried toppling a statue of former President Jackson near the White House on Monday, according to video footage shared online of the demonstration.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed