At least 161 children in New York have gotten sick, making the state’s caseload one of the largest publicly reported anywhere.
The White House encouraged people to go to picnics, beaches, and churches over Memorial Day weekend, hoping to accelerate the resumption of normal life amid the pandemic.
The contagion study is released just as Trump is demanding that churches reopen.
President Trump ordered states to reopen places of worship, but several governors said that decision would be their call. Persistently high case levels in Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington have medical experts concerned.
President Trump threatened to overrule states that refuse to open places of worship. The White House could not explain how he has that power, and legal experts said he did not have such authority.
The Centers for Disease Control has been lumping together tests for active coronavirus with tests for recovered patients, boosting testing totals but muddying the pandemic’s course.
He threatened to override governors who keep them closed, even though he doesn't have the authority to do so.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed