We are the 99%
OCTOBER 29 – #ROBINHOOD GLOBAL MARCH This is a proposal for the general assemblies of the Occupy #O15 movement. Eight years ago, on February 15, 2003, upwards of 15 million people in sixty countrie
“The people have spoken. The government is broken.” – chant from Freedom Plaza, Washington D.C. * are actions, ** are meetings/assemblies ——> A NEW OCCUPY GROUP IS FO
At 6.30am this morning, February 2nd 2012, 30 NSW Police officers raided the Occupy Sydney site at Martin Place. During the raid six people were arrested for camping and staying overnight, most of
SLIDESHOW: The First 30 Days About this Blog As summer waned, a group began meeting in the city park in which comrades and I typically hold court on the weekends. Their regular gatherings triggered
Previous U.S. Groups Raise $40 Million for Settlements Next Now He's Going for Gaga May 1, 2012, 7:20pm Occupy Camp Kinderland By Josh Nathan-Kazis josh nathan-kazis Judee Rosenbaum On the fringes
Scenes from the New York rally and parade
Occupy Wall Street demonstrators in downtown Manhattan.
Live-blogging OWS daily since October 1. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. All times ET. See my e-book on Occupy "40 Days That Shook the World." My other books, including new ones on Bradley Manning an
Salon coverage: Occupy Wall Street
Boulet's creation of an Occupy Wall Street art book
Documenting the Movement, One Arrest at a Time
Email to a friend | Printer friendly | Share Diggit del.icio.us reddit Yahoo Facebook StumbleUpon What's this? Extra! May 2012 Bored With Occupy—and Inequality Class issues fade alo
it's late, or very early in the morning. i can't sleep. i'm heading to tampa soon as an activist and an independent journalist. for the first time i'm armed with a press pass, and a camera, and my
How this story was constructed:
- As part of her work on "Generating Stories From Archived Collections", Yasmin AlNoamany requested that the Archive-It team assist expert archivists in selecting the best mementos from these collections. The archivists were given the following guidelines:
- The representative mementos should be selected from within the collection. There should not be any memento from outside the collection.
- The default value for the number of selected mementos is k ≈ 28. This value can be more or less based on the nature and size of each collection.
- We expect to have three generated stories out of each collection. Depending on the nature of the collection, some kinds of stories may not be applicable. For those collections, please specify if any of the previous kinds of stories cannot be created.
- You can choose a speciﬁc time period for generating the story. If the collection spans many years, you can choose a subset of the timespan of the collection.
- For selecting individual mementos:
- the language of the memento should be in English
- the memento should be on-topic (the content is related to the topic of the collection)
- the memento should produce a visually attractive snippet on Storify, an article (cnn.com/a/b/12/2015) is more preferred than a homepage (cnn.com)
- the memento should not be a (near-)duplicate of another memento in the list
- a memento with no missing resources is a better choice than a memento that is missing resources
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It gathered metadata from Archive-It's interface using Archive-It Utilities
- It formatted the data for the story based on this metadata report and the URI-Ms supplied by the expert archivists.
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed.
Other information about the creation and use of this story:
- The dataset containing the mementos used in this and other human stories is available on Figshare.
- This mementos from this story were featured in:
- Yasmin AlNoamany, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2017. Stories From the Past Web. arXiv Tech Report 1705.06218.
- Yasmin AlNoamany, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2017. Generating Stories From Archived Collections. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Web Science Conference.
- Yasmin AlNoamany. 2016. Using Web Archives to Enrich the Live Web Experience Through Storytelling. PhD Dissertation. Old Dominion University.
- Shawn M. Jones, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2019. Social Cards Probably Provide For Better Understanding Of Web Archive Collections. Proceedings of the 28th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management.