Two huge explosions rocked the Boston Marathon finish line at Copley Square just before 3 p.m. today, killing three and injuring 144 at last count, including several traumatic amputations on street
BOSTON — No Red Sox employees were directly injured by the Boston Marathon explosions, but family members and friends of employees were among the injured, Red Sox vice president Dr. Charles Steinbe
Sox can help Boston cope Views 2756 Comments 776 08:13 AM ET 04.16 | When tragedy struck on Patriots' Day in Boston, lives changed in an instant. The aftermath means anguish and har
Boston bombings investigation sources say they have identified a suspect from video footage taken of the marathon.
BOSTON (AP) — The Red Sox and Rays were making their ways out of Fenway Park when two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon were heard at the stadium.
Less than 24 hours before she died, Lu Lingzi sent an exuberant email to a professor after learning she had passed part of a major final exam. 'I am so ...
Warning: Graphic images Two bombs exploded in the packed streets near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing two people and injuring up to 100 others in a terrifying scene of sha
Boston marathon explosions: How the tragedy unfolded Warning: Graphic content The final runners of the Boston Marathon were trickling in Monday afternoon when twin bombs exploded near the finish li
Boston University confirms 23-year-old actuarial science graduate student died while watching the race on Monday
The president spoke from the White House briefing room just after 6pm ET, about three hours after the bombs went off
As investigators continue to comb footage for clues, president addresses Bostonians at interfaith service for marathon victims
A resolute President Obama said this afternoon that those behind the Boston Marathon’s deadly bombing won’t succeed in scaring “one of America’s iconic cities,” during an interfaith service meant t
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Is in Serious Condition at Beth Israel Hospital
On Marathon Monday, April 15, 2013, a bomb went off in my face. I was leaning out of the window below, taking pictures, when the attack began. I took this photo immediately after the second blast,
Mike Napoli and other members of the Boston Red Sox reacted to Monday's bombings of the Boston Marathon.
Updated, 10:20 p.m. "We have closed an important chapter in this tragedy," said President Barack Obama in a press conference at the White House, minutes after a briefing came to a close in...
Up until last week, "One Direction Infection," a Tumblr blog created and maintained by an eighth grader we'll call Claire, looked like any other 14-year-old's Tumblr: a bright pink background, a de
“Misha,” the mysterious man linked to Boston Marathon bombings suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, has been located in Rhode Island.
According to the AP, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev answered questions for 16 hours before he was read the Miranda warning that he could remain silent and could ask for a lawyer. Once Tsarnaev was told that, he
Focus on Miranda rights may miss key constitutional abrogation, plus discoveries about Tamerlan's Russia visit
According to the criminal complaints filed against the three new suspects in the Boston bombing case, here's how they became involved in the entire affair.
The body of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a suspect in the Boston Marathon terror attack, has been buried in a Muslim cemetery in Doswell, Virginia, a source said Friday.
Report: ‘Mounting evidence’ tying Boston bombing suspects to 2011 murders By Arturo GarciaFriday, May 10, 2013 16:52 EDT Topics: Brendan Mess ♦ Tamerlan Tsarnaev Tweet Tweet Authorities in Massac
The teen's lawyer, Arkady Bukh says his client cooperated with the FBI even before his arrest by helping to hand over bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's laptop computer.
Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told authorities that his sister-in-law, Katherine Russell, played no role in the April 15 blasts, a federal law enforcement official said. Russel
Paul and JP Norden, both of whom lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombing, were reunited Monday. MICHELE McPHEE reports from Boston: Two brothers who each lost a leg in the deadly Boston Marathon
Doane Perry has spent the last 11 months thinking about his own personal experience during the Boston Marathon bombing and the days that followed. As an anthropologist, he said telling stories come
How this story was constructed:
- As part of her work on "Generating Stories From Archived Collections", Yasmin AlNoamany requested that the Archive-It team assist expert archivists in selecting the best mementos from these collections. The archivists were given the following guidelines:
- The representative mementos should be selected from within the collection. There should not be any memento from outside the collection.
- The default value for the number of selected mementos is k ≈ 28. This value can be more or less based on the nature and size of each collection.
- We expect to have three generated stories out of each collection. Depending on the nature of the collection, some kinds of stories may not be applicable. For those collections, please specify if any of the previous kinds of stories cannot be created.
- You can choose a speciﬁc time period for generating the story. If the collection spans many years, you can choose a subset of the timespan of the collection.
- For selecting individual mementos:
- the language of the memento should be in English
- the memento should be on-topic (the content is related to the topic of the collection)
- the memento should produce a visually attractive snippet on Storify, an article (cnn.com/a/b/12/2015) is more preferred than a homepage (cnn.com)
- the memento should not be a (near-)duplicate of another memento in the list
- a memento with no missing resources is a better choice than a memento that is missing resources
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It gathered metadata from Archive-It's interface using Archive-It Utilities
- It formatted the data for the story based on this metadata report and the URI-Ms supplied by the expert archivists.
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed.
Other information about the creation and use of this story:
- The dataset containing the mementos used in this and other human stories is available on Figshare.
- This mementos from this story were featured in:
- Yasmin AlNoamany, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2017. Stories From the Past Web. arXiv Tech Report 1705.06218.
- Yasmin AlNoamany, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2017. Generating Stories From Archived Collections. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Web Science Conference.
- Yasmin AlNoamany. 2016. Using Web Archives to Enrich the Live Web Experience Through Storytelling. PhD Dissertation. Old Dominion University.
- Shawn M. Jones, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2019. Social Cards Probably Provide For Better Understanding Of Web Archive Collections. Proceedings of the 28th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management.