Hurricane Hilary caused major rain and flooding in Mexico’s Baja California Sur on Saturday.
SoCal was rocked by an earthquake as a rare tropical storm moved into the region on Sunday A magnitude 5.1 earthquake struck Ojai, California as outer bands of Tropical Storm Hilary made landfall in the region.
A tropical storm warning has been issued for Southern California.
The storm should hit Mexico Sunday and could cause historic rainfall in the Southwest.
NBC News' reports from Los Angeles on a 5.1 magnitude earthquake that was reported near Ojai, California, and this comes as Tropical Storm Hilary is making its way towards Southern California.
The rain is picking up in the United States, Monday should be calmer, and other things to know about the tropical storm.
Hilary is expected to cause "catastrophic and life-threatening" floods in parts of California and Nevada, where a year's worth of rain could fall in a single day. Follow here for live news updates.
After making landfall in Mexico earlier Sunday, Tropical Storm Hilary is now unleashing vicious wind gusts and heavy rain across California, where officials have warned of catastrophic and potentially deadly floods.
At least 9 million people were under flash-flood warnings.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed