Russian President Vladimir Putin was briefed Saturday on an "attempted armed rebellion," the Kremlin said.
The chief of the private contractor Wagner Group said his fighters crossed into Russia’s territory as Moscow calls for the surrender of his forces and ultimately his arrest. Yevgeny Prigozhin…
Wagner’s Yevgeny Prigozhin accused the Russian military of attacking his forces late Friday.
The owner of the private military contractor who called for an armed rebellion aimed at ousting Russia’s defense minister confirmed his troops reached Rostov-on-Don.
The capital came under attack as anxiety grew in Russia over a confrontation between Yevgeny V. Prigozhin, the founder of the Wagner mercenary group, and President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.
Vladimir Putin is facing the greatest threat to his authority in two decades after the head of the Wagner paramilitary group launched an apparent insurrection, claimed control of military facilities in two Russian cities, and warned that his troops would head for Moscow.
Mr. Prigozhin quickly earned the trust of his benefactor, who assigned him a number of important tasks that were best handled at arm’s length from the government. The first and most notorious of th...
A powerful mercenary chief sent his forces on the move against the Russian military establishment, raising tensions in the country to a level not seen in decades.
Russia confirmed late Friday that it had filed charges against the leader of the Wagner paramilitary group, Yevgeny Prigozhin.
Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed Saturday that he was turning his forces around from a march toward Moscow in what Russian President Putin called an "armed uprising." Follow for live updates.
The simmering conflict between Moscow’s military leadership and Yevgeny Prigozhin, the bombastic chief of private mercenary group Wagner, has exploded into an open insurrection that plunges Russia into renewed uncertainty and the very real threat of civil war.
The leader of a mercenary force that has done extensive fighting against Ukraine has made comments that alarm many.
The mercenary chief is at the heart of Russia’s growing internal strife.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed