Hurricane Ian made landfall in Cuba, bringing significant wind and storm surge, as it churns toward Florida. Follow here for the latest news and forecasts.
Hurricane Ian, a 500-mile wide monster of a storm, is building strength in the Gulf of Mexico and appears destined to slam into some portion of Florida’s west coast.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center said “significant wind and storm surge impacts” occurred Tuesday morning in western Cuba.
Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) said Tuesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that Democrats have to win the midterm elections because a hurricane is bearing down on Florida. | Clips
Florida is preparing for the "catastrophic flooding and life-threatening storm surge," Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said.
Hurricane Ian strengthened to a Category 3 major hurricane overnight, with projected landfall south of Tampa Bay.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis encouraged residents to prepare for historic flooding and storm surge on Tuesday, encouraging Floridians under evacuation orders to heed those warnings.
Social media users mocked Klobuchar after she suggested during a TV appearance that Democrat policies could help prevent hurricanes.
Christina Pushaw blasted Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) after the senator bizarrely implied that voting for Democrats will stop hurricanes.
The latest forecast from the National Hurricane Center in Miami shows that Ian is expected to bring a storm surge of up to 8 feet in Tampa Bay before it moves inland and dumps 20 inches of rain as it crosses the state toward Daytona Beach.
More than 2.5 million Floridians were under some kind of evacuation warning Tuesday as Hurricane Ian marched closer to the state's west coast after knocking out power across all of Cuba.
Joe Biden called the mayors of Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater to discuss Hurricane Ian. However, according to the FEMA manager, Joe Biden has not spoken to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R). “[Biden] held separate calls today with Mayor Jane Castor of Tampa, Mayor Ken Welch of St. Petersburg, and Mayor Frank Hibbard of Clearwater…
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed