Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev has died "after a serious and long illness," the Central Clinical Hospital reported
Adopting principles of glasnost and perestroika, he weighed the legacy of seven decades of Communist rule and set a new course, presiding over the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the U.S.S.R.
Mikhail Gorbachev -- the last leader of the former Soviet Union from 1985 until 1991 -- has died at the age of 91.
Mikhail Gorbachev, the last leader of the Soviet Union, has died, Central Clinical Hospital reported.
Read CNN's Fast Facts on Mikhail Gorbachev, former president of the USSR.
Thirty years after the Cold War ended, the Soviet Union's last leader, Mikhail Gorbachev, talks arms control, Afghanistan and lack of trust between Moscow and Washington
Mikhail Gorbachev is remembered in the US. as the man Reagan challenged but later came to respect, and who left a legacy of freedom.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed