The court ruled 6-3 along ideological lines for the coach. The justices said the coach's prayer was protected by the First Amendment.
The other justices, both conservative and liberal, contended with what Friday’s decision could mean for cases that include Loving.
The Supreme Court’s conservatives ruled on Monday for a high school football coach who was reprimanded for leading postgame prayers on the football field’s 50-yard line. The 6-3 dec…
The court said high school football coach Joe Kennedy's prayers amounted to private speech protected by the First Amendment
How criminalizing abortion may change with out-of-state prosecution.
The progressive House member said conservative judges nominated by Donald Trump misrepresented their Roe v. Wade views during confirmation hearings.
The Supreme Court of the United States has finally come to a decision in the case of Kennedy v. Bremerton School District.
The US Supreme Court ruled in favor of Coach Kennedy in a decision released Monday morning. In a 6-3 vote the Thomas Court sided with Joseph Kennedy who lost his job in the Bremerton School District after he knelt at midfield after games to offer a quiet personal prayer. ** Here is the Supreme Court…
Joseph Kennedy, a former high school football coach in Bremerton, Wash., had a constitutional right to pray on the field after his team’s games, the justices ruled.
The case of Joseph Kennedy, an assistant football coach at Bremerton High School in Washington, pitted red states against blue ones, some professional football players against others, divided constitutional experts and drew more friend-of-the-court briefs than any case at the Supreme Court this term, except for the controversies over abortion and gun control.
The final opinion keeps the controversial language from the draft leaked in May.
If Justices Alito and Kavanaugh sought to assure the public that other rights were safe, Thomas's concurrence cut against that.
The justices’ decision found that the school system infringed the coach’s religious freedom and freedom of speech rights by seeking to block him from engaging in public prayers on the field.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed