Johnson won the backing of 211 out of 359 Conservative lawmakers, more than the simple majority needed to remain in power, but still a significant rebellion of 148 MPs.
The prime minister survived a no-confidence vote, but has been politically wounded by the same baffling mix of strengths and foibles that propelled his rise: rare political intuition, and breathtaking personal recklessness.
Boris Johnson will survive in his role as Britain's Prime Minister, but his authority has imploded after narrowly fighting off a confidence vote. Follow live news updates here.
The prime minister's party voted on his political future Monday.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will face a vote of confidence on Monday, triggered by discontented lawmakers in his own party and following a series of scandals and months of speculation about his future.
Boris Johnson has survived a vote of confidence held by his own party. Conservative MPs voted Monday in a secret ballot by 211 to 148 to allow Johnson to remain party leader -- and, by extension, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
With the fate of his premiership in the hands of his Conservative friends and foes, Boris Johnson has begged Tory MPs to support him in Monday evening's confidence vote.
The British PM survived by 211 votes to 148.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed