The White House on Friday announced that it is lifting the travel restrictions it imposed on eight southern African countries last month following the discovery of the COVID-19 omicron variant.
A mild Covid-19 case from omicron might feel like a cold. You should still take it seriously.
The White House says the U.S. will lift the restrictions, imposed after the discovery of the omicron coronavirus variant, on New Year's Eve.
The U.S. will lift COVID travel restrictions on South Africa and seven other nearby countries on New Year’s Eve, the White House announced Friday.
Biden will end the ban at midnight on Dec. 31, reversing restrictions imposed last month. South Africa criticized the ban as discriminatory.
Administration officials at the time said the ban would buy time for health officials to learn more about the Omicron variant.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed