Swiss voters have given clear backing to legislation that introduced special COVID-19 certificates under which only people who have been vaccinated, recovered or tested negative can attend public events and gatherings
President Biden will provide an update on his administration's response to the new COVID-19 omicron variant on Monday, according to the White House, after Dr.
Omicron is the newest Covid-19 "variant of concern," according to the World Health Organization.
The Omicron variant of Covid-19 is raising the concerns of health officials amid the busy holiday travel season, but there is no need to panic just yet as the potential impact of the newly detected strain remains unknown, experts say.
The virus has been described as a "variant of concern" by WHO officials.
The European Union and other major destinations have moved to block flights from African countries following the discovery of the variant, echoing previous emergency responses that triggered a global freeze on travel.
The new COVID-19 variant was identified in South Africa two weeks ago.
The variant appears to be spreading more rapidly among young people in their 20s and 30s, alarming health professionals.
The doctor credited with alerting authorities about the omicron variant of COVID-19 warned against overreacting as medical experts advise to prepare for the worst and countries including the United States implement new travel restrictions to stem its spread.
The new omicron variant of COVID-19 is now on the doorstep of the United States.
At least 13 people who got tested at Amsterdam Schiphol airport after traveling from South Africa on Friday have tested positive for the Omicron coronavirus variant, Dutch health authorities said on Sunday.
Australia has already acted to isolate travelers who brought the Omicron variant of the coronavirus into Australia.
Many of the world's richest countries have spent the past year hoarding coronavirus vaccines, buying up enough doses to vaccinate their populations several times over and consistently failing to deliver on their promises to share doses with the developing world. The World Health Organization said the approach was "self-defeating" and "immoral."
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed