The Dow Jones Industrial Average sunk more than 900 points Friday over concerns of a new COVID-19 variant detected in South Africa.
Biden speaks to well-wishers in Nantucket Joe Biden on Friday told reporters in Nantucket that he is not considering any new vaccine mandates… for now. A new variant of the COVID virus identified in Southern Africa is “highly transmissible and vaccine-resistant.” Biden on Friday announced plans to restrict travel from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini,…
Scientists do not yet know how dangerous the new Omicron variant is, but its many mutations set off alarms, lowering hopes of putting the pandemic in the past.
The U.S. will restrict travel from eight African nations starting on November 29. The ban comes amid the discovery of a Covid-19 variant “Omicron” detected in South Africa. The World Health Organization confirmed the variant is highly transmissible.
Concerns are growing over a new variant of the COVID-19 virus in South Africa.
The United States joined several countries that acted on Friday to restrict travelers from southern Africa in an effort to slow the spread of a new coronavirus variant. South Africans complained the travel bans were unfair.
The Omicron variant carries worrisome mutations that may let it evade antibodies, scientists said. But it will take more research to know how it fares against vaccinated people.
The president sought to project confidence as the new coronavirus variant raised fresh concerns about the pandemic.
President Joe Biden announced on Friday new travel restrictions from South Africa and seven other countries due to the latest COVID-19 variant.
President Joe Biden announced Friday the US will restrict travel from South Africa and seven other countries starting Monday as a new coronavirus variant has emerged.
United says it will not scale back its Africa service due to the new covid variant — and is moving ahead with new and seasonal service to the continent.
The U.S. will restrict travel for non-U.S. citizens from South Africa after the W.H.O. labeled a new virus strain a "variant of concern."
The travel restrictions will begin Monday, according to a senior administration official.
A World Health Organization panel named the variant “omicron” and classified it as a highly transmissible virus of concern, the same category of the delta variant.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed