Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett asked some telling questions about the law's unusual structure.
Would the court allow any other right to be trampled on the way it has already allowed the right to abortion to be all but eviscerated by Texas?
Justice Sonia Sotomayor warned that constitutional rights enshrined in Supreme Court decisions concerning gun rights, same-sex marriage, birth control and other contentious issues could be open to attack depending on how the court handled the Texas abortion ban cases that were in front of it Monday.
With abortion dominating the court’s agenda this term, lawyers and advocates on both sides of the issue were scrambling to read the tea leaves.
The Supreme Court on Monday was openly skeptical of Texas state law SB8 over concerns about its unprecedented enforcement mechanism.
In two arguments on Monday, the justices considered challenges from abortion providers and the Biden administration to a law that bans abortions after about six weeks.
Justices Brett M. Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett appeared swayed by arguments that the law improperly blocks the judicial review necessary when constitutional rights are at stake.
A sharply divided Supreme Court will gather Monday to once again consider a Texas law that bars abortion at around six weeks of pregnancy, reigniting a debate concerning the most restrictive law in the country.
Two of three Trump-appointed justices grilled the state on the implications of its ban.
This story was constructed with the SHARI Process:
- The StoryGraph Toolkit extracted URIs from the biggest story of the day from the StoryGraph service
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It accepted the list of original resource URIs from the output of the StoryGraph Toolkit, and queried the Memento Aggregator to find as many mementos as possible
- For resources that were not already mementos, it submitted them to web archives with ArchiveNow
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed