Enlarge Photo AP Va. gov. meets with VT victims' families AP - Sun Jun 24, 2:02 AM ET RICHMOND, Va. - Gov. Timothy M. Kaine met Saturday for two hours with relatives of those killed at Virginia Te
An undated photo released by Virginia State Police shows Seung-Hui Cho. Virginia State Police via AP CAPTION news | | Comment | Recommend Panel gets Cho mental-health filesBy Kevin Johnson, USA TOD
INTERACTIVE: What happened when AUDIO SLIDE SHOW: 'Remember 4-16-07' THE TRAGEDY During the early morning hours of April 16, a gunman went on a rampage on the Virginia Tech campus. By the time he w
Talk Back: Virginia Tech Massacre As TIME remembers the brave and the innocent of the Virginia Tech tragedy, we especially want to hear your thoughts about the students and staff that su
TRAGEDY AT VIRGINIA TECHGraphic: What happened in Norris Hall | Timeline | Cell video | Danger of semi-automaticsMassacre: Deadliest campus shooting leaves 33 deadVictims: Lives full of promise, wi
The death of Ryan Clark, a twin from Martinez in Georgia, was confirmed by Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins to the Augusta Chronicle. The coroner said Ryan's family, including his brother, ha
'This is very scary' Eyewitness reports e-mailed to the BBC from Virginia Tech university. In quo
Tragedy in Virginia Latest coverage Report: Va. Tech officials could have saved lives Virginia Tech officials could have saved lives if they had quickly issued a campuswide warning that two student
Virginia Tech shooting coverage Photo by Eric Brady | The Roanoke Times Tom Ridge (left) and Gerald Massengill participate in the first public meeting of Gov. Kaine's Independent Virginia Tech Inci
BLACKSBURG, Virginia (Reuters) - The gunman who killed 32 people and then himself at Virginia Tech university on Monday was identified by police on Tuesday as Cho Seung-Hui, a South Korean studying
From Encyclopedia Dramatica Jump to: navigation, search Contents 1 GUN CONTROL!!!1/11 2 Accurate Account of Events 3 Impending Racism 4 God Hates Virginia 5 The Killer 6 Cho: Pl
The British and Polish press put the story on their front pages. The Russian newspaper Izvestiya conducted an Internet poll asking why "mass murders take place in schools and universities in Americ
How this story was constructed:
- As part of her work on "Generating Stories From Archived Collections", Yasmin AlNoamany requested that the Archive-It team assist expert archivists in selecting the best mementos from these collections. The archivists were given the following guidelines:
- The representative mementos should be selected from within the collection. There should not be any memento from outside the collection.
- The default value for the number of selected mementos is k ≈ 28. This value can be more or less based on the nature and size of each collection.
- We expect to have three generated stories out of each collection. Depending on the nature of the collection, some kinds of stories may not be applicable. For those collections, please specify if any of the previous kinds of stories cannot be created.
- You can choose a speciﬁc time period for generating the story. If the collection spans many years, you can choose a subset of the timespan of the collection.
- For selecting individual mementos:
- the language of the memento should be in English
- the memento should be on-topic (the content is related to the topic of the collection)
- the memento should produce a visually attractive snippet on Storify, an article (cnn.com/a/b/12/2015) is more preferred than a homepage (cnn.com)
- the memento should not be a (near-)duplicate of another memento in the list
- a memento with no missing resources is a better choice than a memento that is missing resources
- Hypercane performed the following steps:
- It gathered metadata from Archive-It's interface using Archive-It Utilities
- It formatted the data for the story based on this metadata report and the URI-Ms supplied by the expert archivists.
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed.
Other information about the creation and use of this story:
- The dataset containing the mementos used in this and other human stories is available on Figshare.
- This mementos from this story were featured in:
- Yasmin AlNoamany, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2017. Stories From the Past Web. arXiv Tech Report 1705.06218.
- Yasmin AlNoamany, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2017. Generating Stories From Archived Collections. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Web Science Conference.
- Yasmin AlNoamany. 2016. Using Web Archives to Enrich the Live Web Experience Through Storytelling. PhD Dissertation. Old Dominion University.
- Shawn M. Jones, Michele C. Weigle, Michael L. Nelson. 2019. Social Cards Probably Provide For Better Understanding Of Web Archive Collections. Proceedings of the 28th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management.