A memorial wreath was placed on a candle guarded by the Virginia Tech Corp of Cadets on the campus of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. (Photo: Rob Carr/Associated Press) By this time exactly one ye...
Monday's shooting at Virginia Tech was among the deadliest attacks at a school. Other notable rampages:
Web Resources About School Violence Teaching Resources From The New York Times Learning Network The Why FilesFunded in part by the National Science Foundation and produced by the graduate school of...
Thursday, April 17, 2008 Virginia Tech shooting victims are honored by mourners Sue Lindsey / Associated Press BLACKSBURG, Va. -- A sea of people clad in maroon and orange, some with heads tearf...
Students, professor struggle with Virginia Tech massacre remembrances in upcoming book The Associated Press Published:
Complete Coverage: Virginia Tech Shooting Bittersweet Graduation at Virginia Tech The image most people have of Kevin Sterne is harrowing: a photo showing a tourniquet wrapped around his wounded ...
WAYNESBORO Once again, 32 balloons floated above the skies of Waynesboro on Wednesday, memorializing the 32 lives lost a year ago on the campus of Virginia Tech. Hundreds attended the c...
The death of Ryan Clark, a twin from Martinez in Georgia, was confirmed by Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins to the Augusta Chronicle. The coroner said Ryan's family, including his brother, ha...
TRAGEDY AT VIRGINIA TECHFull coverage: Latest news and in-depth reports Probe: Panel holds its first meeting | Campus swept for clues | AudioAt VT: Students brave return | Continuing stress feared ...
911 Calls Detail Horror of Norris Hall Almost as soon as Seung Hui Cho entered 19-year-old Emily Haas's classroom and began his deadly rampage in Norris Hall, Haas called Va. Tech police, sparking ...
This story was constructed automatically by using an updated version of AlNoamany's Algorithm. For more information about how this algorithm was developed, how it works, and its evaluation, please consult:
- Y. AlNoamany, M. C. Weigle, and M. L. Nelson, "Generating Stories From Archived Collections," in Proceedings of the 2017 ACM on Web Science Conference, pp. 309–318, ACM Press, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1145/3091478.3091508.
- Y. AlNoamany, M. C. Weigle, and M. L. Nelson, " Stories From the Past Web," Tech. Rep. 1705.06218, May, 2017. https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.06218.
We employed the DSA toolkit to tell this story with the following steps.
- Hypercane selected the resources and generated the metadata for the story:
- It first executed AlNoamany's Algorithm:
- Discovered the Memento TimeMaps for the collection
- Analyzed these TimeMaps and reported the memento URI-Ms that were on-topic
- Filtered the content of those URI-Ms to find non-duplicates
- Filtered the content of those URI-Ms to find English language documents
- Sliced the collection by memento-datetime
- Clustered the mementos in each slice by Simhash distance
- Ranked the mementos in each cluster by a ranking equation
- Filtered each cluster for the highest ranking mementos
- Ordered each memento by publication date
- It used Archive-It Utilities to extract all metadata from the collection, such as who created the collection and the collection's name
- It analyzed all mementos to automatically discover the most frequent sumgrams and named entities present in the overall story
- It analyzed all images in these mementos to automatically select the best image for the overall story
- It then formatted the data for the story based on all of this input
- Raintale took the input from Hypercane and rendered the final product with information supplied by MementoEmbed